Mesothelioma is a bad cancer that starts in the lining of the lungs, tummy, or heart. It is caused by asbestos, which is a material that was used in many things until the 1950s. Mesothelioma takes many years to start after you breathe in asbestos.
There is no cure for mesothelioma, but there are treatments that can help with the symptoms and make you feel better. The best treatment for you will depend on where the cancer is, how bad it is, and your overall health.
Treatments for mesothelioma
- Surgery: This is when doctors take out the cancer. The type of surgery you have will depend on where the cancer is.
- Chemotherapy: This is when you take medicine to kill the cancer cells. It is often given after surgery to help kill any cancer cells that are left.
- Radiation therapy: This uses high-energy rays to kill cancer cells. It can be used to treat mesothelioma that is in one area, like the chest or tummy. It can also be used to help with pain caused by mesothelioma.
- Immunotherapy: This is a new type of treatment that helps your body’s immune system fight the cancer. It is still being studied for mesothelioma, but it has shown promise in some early tests.
- Palliative care :This type of care focus on helping you feel better with your symptoms and improve your quality of life. It can be used with other treatments or on its own.
Choosing the right treatment
The best treatment for you will depend on a number of factors, including where the cancer is, how bad it is, and your overall health. It is important to talk to your doctor about all of your treatment options and to get a second opinion if needed.
Clinical trials are research studies that test new treatments for mesothelioma. They are an important part of finding new and better treatments for this disease. People with mesothelioma may want to consider taking part in a clinical trial.
Living with mesothelioma
Living with mesothelioma can be tough, but there are resources available to help you cope. There are many support groups and organizations that can provide information, emotional support, and other resources.
The outlook for mesothelioma
The outlook for mesothelioma is not good. The 5-year survival rate for mesothelioma is only about 10%. However, there have been some advances in treatment in recent years, and some people with mesothelioma are living longer than ever before.
The best way to prevent mesothelioma is to avoid asbestos. Asbestos is no longer used in most products, but it is still found in some older buildings and materials. If you are concerned about asbestos exposure, you should talk to your doctor.
Mesothelioma is a serious and life-threatening disease, but there are treatments available that can help with the symptoms and make you feel better. It is important to talk to your doctor about all of your treatment options and to get a second opinion if needed.